PROHIBITED AND RESTRICTED GOODS
Animals, Insects, Fish, Reptiles, Birds etc., Skins, Raw Wool, Animal Hair or Bristles, Horns, Hooves, Bones, Feathers, etc., Saddles, Harnesses, Animal Rugs and Brushes, Meat, Sausages, Poultry, Eggs, Seeds, Plants, Fruit & Vegetables, Honey, Viruses, Vaccines, Fungi etc., Weapons and Firearms.
Generally owned and used household goods and personal effects (clothing, jewellery, etc.) being personal property are admitted duty / GST free provided client:
- Is coming to New Zealand intending to take up permanent residence (and has been granted residency status) or is on a Work Permit for at least 12 months.
- Is a returning New Zealand resident having lived outside of New Zealand at least 21 months (or provide documentary proof that the consignment was shipped from New Zealand).
Documents required by New Zealand Customs:
- Client’s passport
- Detailed inventory list (by the mover)
- Receipts for recently purchased household items.
- Unaccompanied Personal Baggage Declaration
- MPI SUPP Declaration
- Quarantine Declaration for containers into New Zealand
- Important Import Information for Motor Vehicles
Owner must be a first time immigrant with permanent residency Visa to obtain tax free entry of motor cars and motor cycles:
- Having personally owned and personally used the vehicle for at least one year prior to either handing in for shipment, or their departure from the country (whichever is the earlier).
- The vehicle is intended for their personal use and not for resale or other disposal.
Goods & Services Tax (G.S.T.) will apply at 12.50% of value, plus freight and insurance if Owner does not meet these criteria.
NOTE: Regulations for motor vehicles seem to change with some frequency and it is advisable to contact our agent for current information.
IMPORTANT: Please do not ship any motor vehicles to New Zealand prior to obtaining a Statement of Compliance from the Manufacturer of the vehicle, verified by a Land Transport Safety Authority in New Zealand. Contact address as follows:
Land Transport Safety Authority,
PO Box 2840, Wellington, New Zealand
Tel: 0064 4 494 8600
Fax: 0064 4 494 8601
Free phone: 0800 699 000
For further details and more comprehensive information on import of used household goods / personal effects and motor vehicles into New Zealand visit the following web sites:
This information is intended for general guidance. Forward Van Lines International cannot take responsibility for any errors or oversights or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. It is advisable to contact the New Zealand Embassy at http://www.nzembassy.com/usa-washington for more information prior to your shipping